Thursday, August 25, 2011

Celebrating

John McRae got on a plane with a complete stranger one year ago today heading to the United States. It still hurts my heart to even try to imagine what he felt on that day. Not only was he leaving behind the only family he ever knew, he was on a very long trip to an unfamiliar place with an unfamiliar person. This morning and all of this past week, I've tried to remember how I felt a year ago.  I do remember on Aug. 25, 2010, I was worried about my baby boy. I was worried about his safety during his 22 hour flight. I was worried about him being sad and being uncomfortable on the long flight. I was worried about his foster family and hurting for them. I was excited that our son was on his way to us. I was excited to finally be able to hold him, smell him, hear his laugh and see his smile that I had only seen in photos. It was a wild wind down from the previous 40 weeks that I'd be so afraid that something would go wrong and our baby would never make it home. At this point, him coming home was VERY real.  We were nervous as first time parents who had never even changed a diaper!

So, this week we are celebrating our first family day.  Tomorrow is the big day, but a day this special deserves at least a week of celebrating.  We've been eating a lot of ice cream, riding many miles on the golf cart, reading lots of books, etc.

Here are a few photos of our week so far. :)





1 comment:

Leah said...

BIG CONGRATS Stacy! Happy Gotch day (or week)!!! And yes, you should celebrate all week! Lots of love and hugs sista! ;)