Friday, July 1, 2011

Deciding to Adopt

Sometimes I'm afraid that I sound like a broken record to those currently outside of the adoption community.  I have no doubt that those who have adopted, are in the process now and those whose family has been directly blessed by adoption understand.  It's a passion so deep in my soul that I think about it constantly.  We are so blessed and I only wish those same blessings and happiness for everyone I come in contact with.

There are so many myths about adoption that keep folks from going forward even when it has been placed on their hearts. You borrow trouble by dwelling on the cost, the anxiety, the acceptance of family members, the fear of not loving the child once he or she is home, the fear of a failed process, the fear of not being accepted at committee for a child who's photo you've already fallen in love with, the fear of an agency not being legit and taking your money, the fear that your child will grow up and not be accepted by society, the fear of not being in control, the fear that you won't know the true health of your adopted child and the fear of the unknown. 

I have witnessed God throughout our adoption and while following the adoption stories of my friends who I have met along the way.  It is so clear to me now that God's love for orphans shines through and He makes everything happen in His perfect timing.  It's a God thing. Trust in Him and all of the pieces of the puzzle will fit together.  The money, the anxiety and the fears of the unknowns will all be a distant memory the exact moment you receive your travel call to finally go get your child!  I've heard it compared to labor pains.  Once it is over, you are so ready to do it again.  The pain is worth it whether you are going through a physical or paper pregnancy.


Ephesians 1:3-6
"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved."

James 1:27 
"Religion that our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this; to look after  orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."

Romans 8:15-16
"For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, Abba! Father!" The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God."

Deuteronomy 24:19
"He defends the cause of the fatherless, giving food and clothing."

Exodus 22:21-22
"You shall not wrong a stranger or oppress him, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt. You shall not afflict any widow or orphan."

Exodus 22:22-24
"He hears the cries of the orphan."

Psalm 68:5
"He is a father to the fatherless."

Deuteronomy 14:29
"He blesses those who provide for the orphan."

There is so much information out there with good news about adoption.  You have to get past the negatives.  I've shared our story on this blog and I invite you to go re-read it.  I invite you to look at our family day photos.  So many of my friends in the adoption community would love to share their stories with you, too.  There are great websites to obtain information.  Go to YouTube and search for adoption day videos or airport homecomings. I guarantee you will need an entire roll of tissue to dry your eyes.  Adoption is so bittersweet. One family loses a child and another family gains them.  It's definitely the best decision Daniel and I have ever made and we are so very thankful for our handsome, precious, perfect son who was once listed on Holt's Waiting Child Photolisting.  HE IS PERFECT.  All of the issues that made him go to that listing have all resolved on their own.  You can't make me believe that God didn't have a hand in that!  We love John McRae so much and are so thankful that we didn't let the negatives keep us from bringing him home. 

Below are a few websites that you might like if you or someone you know is interested in adoption.

XOXO,
Stacy

2 comments:

Heather Brummett said...

LOVE this Stacy. Perfectly said. (:

Stacy said...

Thank you, Heather. I thank you for reposting the video entry on your blog. It was on your blog that I came across it. I've been wanting to write about this, and that video was just what I needed to help make it make sense. I'm so happy that we became friends along this journey. Just another one of the blessings. :)